Monday, August 13, 2007

Apronpalooza 2007

So I just got back from a fun 2 week trip to Utah, Idaho, & Montana. We saw a bear near our camp in Montana, swam in a freezing cold lake, and used glorified outhouses while we camped, but one of the greatest parts of my summer... was realizing how kindred my mom & I really are, and how aprons add an element of fun untouched by any other.


I made 3 fancy smancy aprons to raffle off at my family reunion. When I got to my parents house I decided to make 2 more (my cousin, dad, and brothers pictured wearing my aprons above). Then my mom whips out her bag of tricks and nearly blew my apron right off. She had made 6 double sided aprons. I just so happen to have 5 sisters (very top picture on this post) - not only did she do this, but she also made 12 kids aprons.... I was blow away. She didn't tell me that she was making aprons for "the big event aka raffle" we were just thinking along the same aprony lines. It was a apronista's dream come true. I won one of her aprons and she made sure she had the most tickets to win my Mary Engelbreit apron. It was so much fun. I thought of you all often and knew we would have shared a blissfull tear at the shear number of aprons being proudly worn. It was truly a beautiful sight.

This is the group with all the aprons that they won. There were a few younger apronista's that couldn't sit still long enough for the snapshot. Along with the raffle - aprons were worn with flair... just get a little looksey:

Just a few pictures that show us at leisure in our beautiful aprons. My brother raffled off 15 marshmellow guns so many of our warriors are sporting the ever popular weapon of choice along with their fabulous aprons. The poic to the far left is Avery wearing a half apron while Evan sport the full Mickey Mouse, wich was a hot ticket item.



My tribute to Christie & her love of black & pink polkadots, modeled by my neice & again by me. I have the pattern if anyone is interested, although I would suggest a few minor alterations.

5 comments:

The Blakes said...

Words escape me. It truly was a festival of aprons in the purest form! I'm anxious to hear more about your trip and I am soooo glad you are home. No one can make up for the Marenesque comments and sassiness that you bring to apron night!

Christie said...

How stinkin' cute is that?! An entire family decked out in aprons. I love it Maren! The aprons are great...I love the double sided ones your mom made. Did she happen to show you how she did that?

Maren said...

Okay I realized the bad thing about sewing near or with your mom (Rachel can totally agree or refute this), but I reverted to the "I can't do this-you do it for me" mode, and then I loose my motivation and doubt my abilities. So I'm not really motivated for apron night. i want to hang out, don't get me wrong - but I've lost that inner drive. Anyway, I'm hoping Thursday will change all that. My mom said that a double sided apron is cake and it really doesn't seem too hard. I think I will try it on a kids apron first before I ruin too much fabric. But I do have one of hers to look at which always helps.

Jill Manning said...

I am stunned, mystified, envious, elated, all giddy inside by seeing all those amazing and adorable aprons all in one place. I can't believe it, you, Maren, have taken the Apron Club to a whole new level! I love it! What a great family vacation and to top it off with just about everyone showing off their stuff in there very own aprons just made it that much more memorable! Right there is what aprons are all about, linking generations and creating memories! I can't wait to hear more! And I am so thrilled to hear that you and your mom were able to connect through your aprons, I am happy for you!

The Blakes said...

Agree. I become Ms. Needy Seamstress when my mom is present. I have made more progress and become more confident when I work through my sewing issues on my own. Though she is still a valuable tool to use once I've exhausted all of my own resources.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons