Thursday, August 30, 2007

Boy trapped at Joann's: the video story of James Buchanan


So I was trying to get some fabric a couple weeks ago to start the kid-prons, and my kids really hate Joann's... (duh. they don't sell popcorn or sodas like Target and there is no play place like the mall - all they have to offer is overpriced candy that I buy only when I'm in a pinch). At most stores I can hand James a truck or some toy off the shelf to entertain himself with - for some reason handing him a floral arrangement just doesn't have the same effect... so here is James stuck in the cart with nothing to play with ...

the clock was ticking I knew my time would be really short. Every mom knows the clock begins the moment they are placed in the cart and when the time is up the alarms will sound even after you frustratingly throw everything on the counter and leave in a huff, you further know that the alarms might not go off the entire car ride home and no matter how high you crank the radio - the alarms are always louder. So it's best to have a game plan before you enter the store. I didn't have one, but noticed my ridiculously overpriced digital camera in my purse, I weighed in my mind the possibilities of it getting broken verses the precious time it would buy me, and then remembered Jason bought the even more overpriced warranties they sell that surprisingly covers pounded-to-death-like-a-hammer-by-a-3-year-old-trapped-in-his-version-of-Dante's-inferno - so I did what any rational mother would do in hopes of a few quiet hours of shopping, I handed James my camera to keep himself occupied so I could choose the perfect shade of bias tape and basically waste my time looking at things I will never buy. This is his story through the lens of my camera....










4 comments:

Christie said...

Maren, that is the funniest photodiary ever!! James actually took very interesting pictures...fabric shopping from the perspective of a three year old imprisoned in a green cart. Perfect! And great idea by the way.

It's so true about kids not loving Joanns. I've noticed the same. We can go into almost any other store..shoe store, Target, etc. and last at least 20 minutes but Joanns is awful! I almost wonder if they have some kind of whistle that can only be heard by small children and dogs that makes them whine and cry and want to run through the aisles tearing down bolts of fabric. I don't get it! I think next time I go in I'm going to suggest a toy area for kids. They will probably get a lot more business and less-frustrated moms. I doubt it will happen, but it wouldn't hurt to suggest, right?

The Blakes said...

Oh James.

I swear, even Ty gets fussy in Joanns. It must be contagious! (Though it probably doesn't help that I wander for extended period of times paying little attention to him.)

Jill Manning said...

Those photos are really good...seriously, I got a really good glimpse of what Joanns looks like through the eyes of a 3 year old. I agree with Christie, that was a great idea and what a great finished product.
I think it is the smell of Joanns, I think the kids can smell something in the air that doesn't arouse excitement or entertainment (at least to toddlers, it certainly does for me). I remember going to stores like that with my mom and I would get bored pretty quickly as well...except I loved anything bright and shiny and so even the buttons were fascinating to me. What am I talking about, I still love anything bright and shimmery!

The McMillans said...

You are one cute, and very ingenious mother. I am learning more about parenting and life through this blog, than sewing. It's great send more inspiration our way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons