Saturday, August 23, 2008

Odds and Ends

WARNING: Picture Overload!

So last weekend I decided that before I started any new projects, I needed to finish the old ones. Starting with this banner. Jill inspired me to make one last summer (maybe even spring). It has been 90% finished for over a year, and it took me less that an hour to pin it to some quilting bias tape and complete the job. Why do I do this to myself? Anyway, I LOVE it, and have been displaying it for Trent's impending graduation. (Though I think I would have put it up with no valid reason at all.) Thanks again Jill for the fabric scraps and the great idea!
I had a second one already cut out and ready to go, so I finished it as well. Not sure who the future owner will be yet. It's a little different from mine, but not by much.
I added some ric-rac to the second one just for kicks.
Another inspiring idea from Jill - burp rags. I found the ribbon at the dollar spot at Target, which makes it very cost effective for gifts. However, I think it gets a little tedious and my favorite one ended up being the simple ribbon on the upper left. I think I'll get a fat quarter and monogram a letter in the middle column. Maybe.
I finished piecing Trent's quilt top together. It's not an exciting pattern, but the quilt is for picnics and outdoorsy events, so I didn't care to be fancy. I laid it out and Trent thinks he wants it even bigger, so I'll be heading to DI to pick up some more jeans and get back to work. I can't wait to send it to the quilter who will put it in her fancy shmancy machine and make it look amazing.
AND MY PROUDEST ACHIEVEMENT OF THE WEEK...
For very silly reasons, I am so excited about this apron:
1) I'm being selfish and keeping it for myself!
2) I made my own bias tape to finish the neck all by myself. I'm such a big girl!
(The last Emmaline I made, I invented some random neck deal that was a pain.)
2) I sewed with striped fabric for the first time and it turned out!

Now that I'm done boasting, here are some pictures. Either my modeling or Trent's photography needs some severe improvements...it's so much cuter than this pictures shows.
Cute paisley on this side...
Fabulous stripes on this side! I was so excited to wear this, and know I was keeping it, that I even tried a new cinnamon roll recipe. (They turned out ok, but with enough frosting, anything tastes good.)

I promise to try to post as I finish things instead of bombarding you all every so often. Thanks for all the inspiration and motivation to keep learning...you guys are the best!

4 comments:

Maren said...

Your Emmeline turned out so dang cute! I love it & I love getting bombarded with projects that inspire. You have to use one of the "celebrate" banners for Bunko. I have to win it!

The AZ McMillans said...

Rachel I love everything! You are very inspiring. The emmeline look fabulous. I agree, put the celebrate banner up for bunko! Great job on the quilt. You are so patient.

Jill Manning said...

Rachel I love all the projects, you are such an inspiration. I bought the same paisley fabric and have been trying to figure out what to do with it and I think i may have to make myself an emmaline apron as well because it looks adorable. I agree, put the banner up for Bunko, I am sure there are lots of people who would love to own it. I know I use mine all the time. And I love how the burp rags turned out, you gotta love the dollar spot at Target!

Stacey said...

Wow Rachel, you are on a roll!!! I love all your recent projects. I still want to do a Celebrate....someday. I can't wait to finish all my projects too. Your apron is adorable.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons