Sunday, November 2, 2008

Reversible Pleated Ruffle Sassy Apron

Eck...that's quite a mouthful. For my birthday Aubrey sent me 4 yards of beeeeautiful fabric. At first I wasn't sure it would all fit together, but she assured me it would. And she was right! Since I received it I have been plotting the apron I was going to make out of it. One that could be just for me...one that I didn't have to give to somebody else. Yay! I finally found some time to make this one become reality!

Today was a wonderfully relaxing day. After cleaning up an easy crock pot dinner, I had the evening free. The kids were watching Back to the Future III (I know, I don't get it either, but they LOVE it and have to watch it everyday) and I saw my opportunity. So I got out my stuff and started cuttting away. After a few minor incidents where Cade and Myla thought it'd be fun to jump over the fabric I was cutting, except not really jumping over as much as jumping on and getting their dirty little footprints on it, I finally got into my groove. Anyway, here it is:
I saw an apron here that I really liked. But my budget on buying apron patterns is in the red :), so I tried to do it myself. And for the ruffle I decided to try out this tutorial by Giabella that she posted on her blog awhile ago. It's a pleated ruffle, and it's easier than I thought it would be. I love how the ruffle goes all the way up to the ties. Please ignore the ginormous butt...that is a work in progress. :) The pleated ruffle. Again, these were fun to do! I love my newest apron! Now I can get back to my regularly scheduled Christmas sewing regime with a better attitude. :)

Sewing Bloopers: Does anybody else have bloopers? Everytime I do something stupid, I think I should document it. They are pretty funny after the fact. Well, this time I had a doozy (is that how you spell doozy? It's not a word I spell very often). I sewed the pleats to the wrong side of the apron. So when I finished sewing the two sides together and went to pull the apron right side out, I realized that the pleated ruffle and ties were on the inside of the apron! I wanted to cry. I did not want to do all that pleating all over again! So I just cut off the entire ruffle above the stitch line and restitched it the right way. It ended up working out. The sad thing is, it's not the first time I've done that. The reversible apron gets me every time. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

8 comments:

KrisinTN said...

I found your blog through seekatiesew.blogspot.com, and I love the apron. I might try my hand at making me one too!

Maren said...

I have a hard time beliving that Christie Poppins makes mistakes... the world as I know has been shattered.

the Picketts said...

super cute! you need to give me lessons on pleats now...

The Blakes said...

I love any reversible apron and this one is the perfect combo of frilly and functional! Congrats on making something FOR YOURSELF! You deserve it.

Jill Manning said...

Trust me Christie, you are not the only one with bloopers...I have loads of them, as you know! That apron is adorable and how the fabric goes together but not really, I'm always jealous of people that can do that with fabric. And the pleats, love them!!! You rock Christie!

Abigail said...

I love that apron I think the fabric choice is perfect. Maybe one day you feel retro and chic the next you feel happy and energized just switch sides for your mood its perfect.haha Great job and I love the pleats you are going to have to show me how you do them and get them equal.

Giabella Designs said...

I have made that mistake PLENTY of times! I am glad you tried my tutorial, I hope it worked like I meant it to. Let me know if I missed a step or something just didn't make sense. The apron looks great!

The McMillans said...

You are just fabulous girl. Listen, the more mistakes you make, the better seamstress you become...honest. I love it!!! You have made a great apron! And you put a great combo together with it.!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons