Sunday, December 14, 2008

teachers gifts & garage sales

Okay... so like Jill I have been a busy girl, but not posting my projects. I thought I'd show just a couple.


This is the 1940's house apron. I haven't made this pattern since I started sewing over a year and a half ago (such a long time). I really like this pattern & how it turned out. This is for my son's preschool teacher Mrs. Johnson. I added a few inches to the pattern so it would fit her comfortably. I love the Mary Engelbriet print - it's fun & busy (just like preschool). I bought the fabric at Wal-Mart months ago. I found the polka dot in my stash & decided it would be fun to mix it up a little bit.


the ties match the back strap, they are a little long (it's a habit), but I think it's better to err on the long side instead of the short.


This pocket is my favorite detail. I love the red rick rack & the polka dots. It is just so adorable. I also liked that I encased the seam in bias tape, and then top stitched it down. It just gives it a cool finished (retro) look.


Here is the same basic apron, but this one I did for my daughter's 1st grade teacher. At first I really didn't care for the fabric. It was one of those moments where you buy it - get it home - and go... no, no, no it's all wrong. But since I sew at midnight, I decided to put it together either way and see what happens.


I actually really liked how it turned out. I was afraid the bias tape might make it look cheesy, but it actually adds to the retro feel of the apron.


I really love this fully lined pocket. The cuff on the pockets ties in the cute ties & strap on the back.


And lastly this is the Holiday version of the 5 ruffle anniversary apron. I probably shouldn't even post it. It's the worst thing I've made in months. I didn't do the best job on it and really didn't care for the fabric I used. Oh well, it did sale at the garage sale and even if it sold for a couple bucks - it went to a good cause (Autism). Anyway, that's it for now. I have 3 more aprons that are in various stages of being finished, but we are off to Disneyland tomorrow so I won't be able to think about sewing until the weekend. Hope your having a great week & happy sewing!

5 comments:

Jill Manning said...

Maren, you should never doubt your choices of fabrics, they always come together so perfectly!! I love the apples, I can totally see a teacher sporting that in her classroom. I'm in love with the Mary Englebright (sp?) one, the red rick rack and black polka dots are the perfect touch! Way to go!!! And have a blast at Disneyland, give Peter Pan a kiss for me.

Christie said...

They are all very lovely and I think that your kids' teachers are very lucky. They'll probably be requesting your children in their classroom from now on just so they'll get an apron from you!

We'll miss you while you're gone. I've told you that you really need to ask permission before you plan these trips. :)

keladry95 said...

I just love this apron- where did you get the pattern??? PLEASE tell me! You did a fabulous job with them.

The AZ McMillans said...

Hi! We purchased that pattern from a local quilting store here, but you can find it online as well. The name of the pattern is
The 1940's Apron
by Calico Cat Patterns & Designs

Here is the Calico Cat website. The apron is featured about halfway down the page. http://www.thecalicocat.com/patterns-apron.htm

Hope that helps! It's one of our favorites too.

keladry95 said...

Thank you! I'll definitely be buying that pattern... maybe my mom can get me one last Christmas gift:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons