Saturday, February 21, 2009

a sweet childhood memory


When I was a little girl my mom was a "supermom" on the sewing machine. Money was scarce and she had to be frugal. She made us clothes, dresses, even underwear (back then it was actually cheaper to sew). One Christmas she decided to make us all Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls. She had 6 girls and 4 boys to sew for. On Christmas morning I will never forget how beautiful the tree looked and the thrill of seeing 10 little dolls all lined up underneath it, knowing one special doll was for me.


(The first doll picture looks like Abbey & the one below looks like Paige to me)


The other day I came across these sweet little dolls on a website called Bowls -n- Annies (her husband makes the bowls & De makes the Annies, I love the combination of the two on one site). Instantly I was whisked away to that childhood memory. I thought "I have to buy a couple of these for my girls" but these dolls are not sold ready-made instead De sells patterns & epatterns. I thought, "that must be great for a super crafty lady with some serious doll making skills" ... until I saw her tutorial on doll making and realized, "I can totally do this!" - so guess what my kids are getting for Christmas? (even James - who will probably love his little guy the most)


These two are probably my favorite (Laura Annie & Mary Annie)because I am a Little House on the Prairie Girl. I was about the same age as "Half-pint" when I really got into the show, I had brown hair and even bucked teeth just like Laura Ingells (Melissa Gilbert) ... Love them! Thanks De for bringing out my inner half-pint. I think I'm going to get one for Christmas as well...


5 comments:

JC and Jen Young said...

maren those are super cute dolls I love them

Christie said...

These are adorable. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Jill Manning said...

What cute variations to an all time classic like Annie. I love it! I think I may just be tempted enough to make one for Elsie too...if I wasn't afraid that my sewing skills wouldn't be able to endure life with a kid.

shelia said...

those are too cute!

Rachel said...

I loved my Raggedy Ann when I was little. I'm sure you could pull off something that cute (maybe even cuter...you are Maren).

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons