Sunday, March 8, 2009

Key Lime Pie

Almost 10 years ago I spent some time in Florida as a missionary. Part of the time I lived in Key West, one of my favorite areas in Florida. It actually reminds me a lot of AZ, minus the open ocean and the three hour jaunt to the main land. Quite appropriately, it was when I lived in Key West that I first tasted Key Lime Pie. And boy did I fall in love with it! Before I left to come home to AZ I received a gift of a bottle of Nellie and Joe's Key West Key Lime Juice, with an accompanying Key Lime Pie recipe that I loved. That bottle of Key Lime juice has long since been used up, but lucky for me, Key Limes aren't too hard to come by here. I just bought the Key Limes pictured above last week 20 for $1.00! I made Key Lime pie for our last sewing night and thought I'd share the recipe that I received so long ago by Stephen. It really is easy. Try it!

Stephen's Key Lime Pie with Meringue
1 graham cracker crust (recipe below)
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup Key Lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/8 tsp cream of tarter
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 c confectioners sugar

Prepare your graham cracker crust. I really love a thick, freshly made graham cracker crust, but you can buy a premade one as well.

Beat the egg yolks. Add the can of sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix well. Pour the filling into the graham cracker crust and bake at 350 degrees for 10 -15 minutes (or until the filling is just firm). Remove from the oven and cool on a rack while you prepare the meringue.

For the meringue, put your egg whites, cream of tarter, and salt in a mixing bowl and beat until foamy. Start adding the sugar a little at a time. Beat until eggwhites are glossy and can hold firm peaks.

Cover the pie with the meringue. Be sure that the meringue touches the crust all the way around the pie because it will shrink in the oven. If the meringue isn't touching the crust then there will be separation. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned. Let cool for 10 minutes on a rack and then place in the refrigerator. In my opinion, Key Lime pie is always best served cold.

Graham Cracker crust
6 Tbs butter
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
3 Tbs sugar

Melt the butter. Combine the graham cracker crumbs with the sugar and slowly add the butter. Mix well and press into a 9 inch pie pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes. The crust should just begin to brown. Let cool while you prepare the filling.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Maren said...

nice pictures! I love it and it tasted great!

Jill Manning said...

No joke, that pie was out of this world. I don't know if I am brave enough to attempt this pie seeing i burned an entire batch of cookies but I am so happy that i have friends who can make it and will allow me to have a piece too!!!

Mrs.DD said...

Thanks for the recipe! I think I will try it because I really love Key Lime Pie. have a great day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons