Saturday, March 7, 2009

Long Time Coming

Hi my fellow secret stitch sisters. I am still out there! It' been hard for me to look at the site and see all the wonderful amazing things you all are making because I haven't been able to do much since I had Camden. YOU ARE AMAZING, and I have to say, I've been a little jealous of all your projects and free time. You would be happy to know, I got together with my friend, Jamie last night to teach her how to do a hooter hider. She's almost done with her first, and I'm onto my third. I love giving them away to new mommies! This is a long time coming, but the last finished project I did was over Christmas. I made an Amy Butler birdie sling for my sister, Alison. I loved it so much after making it, it was hard to part from it. I still want to make one for myself but it was a lot of work. After I figured out what I was doing, it wasn't too bad and I sure felt PROUD afterward. I think that's why its been so hard for me lately. Who knew that sewing would make me ... feel happy, feel like myself, give me a sense of accomplishment and purpose, help me be more patient and content. Who knew some simple stitches could complete your life? :) Maybe that's how it is in life, you need to find you own "stitches" whether its cooking, sewing, writing, organizing, scrapbooking, it's something and its YOURS. So, I'm grateful today that I was able to enjoy some simple stitches last night that put a smile on my face.












7 comments:

Christie said...

That is an adorable bag. I love it! You did a great job. It would have been hard for me to part with that bag too. I'm glad you were able to get together and sew with a friend. we miss you!

I had to laugh a little when you said you were jealous of all our free time because free time is not in abundance here. Of course I can't account for the others but I feel like I have no free time. If I sew it is in the middle of the night...or at Apron night, which is always after the kids are in bed and Kevin is home. But it is nice to find an hour or two every week to try to get something done. It does frustrate me when I can't do any sewing. I feel like I need that time...it is like a stress reliever. I am glad you were finally able to sew. It is a hard adjustment after having a baby. I'm still trying to find the balance. Gavin still wakes up several times a night too. I've decided that moms just won't ever get a full night's sleep ever again. Ever. Okay, that's a little dramatic. But sometimes it feels that way.

Wow, this was a long comment. Ok, I'm done. :)

Maren said...

Stacey - I'm with Christie. I would like to know what "free time" is (d*&%$ thesis, *&^%$ school). Any spare moment I try to close my eyes for a few seconds of sleep. I'm not even sewing right now and I miss it terribly. All I get are a few stolen moments here and there to check our blog or send an email. It made me tear up when you said

"Who knew that sewing would make me ... feel happy, feel like myself, give me a sense of accomplishment and purpose, help me be more patient and content. Who knew some simple stitches could complete your life? :)"

That is the best quote I've ever heard. It sums up everything (you might just get cited in my thesis). It makes up for sitting long hours in the library with some creepy guy 2 times my age staring at me from across the room (yuck!) or trying to concentrate with runny nose girl sitting next to you (blow your nose for crying out loud!!) okay. I'm done. Stacey you are sincerely missed by us and I hope you guys move back here (not to the ghetto, but AZ) after grad school.

Maren said...

and cute bag! You did a great job.

Jill Manning said...

I would have lied to my sister about not getting the bag done and than kept it for myself because that is just too adorable! I love how you coordinated the inside fabric and the outside...genius!!! You are greatly missed Stacey, please know that!

the Picketts said...

Stacey, that bag is so adorable! i'm jealous! I want one! good job, i really want to learn how to make bags:)

Small fry & Co. said...

I love the Birdie sling too. I decided when I got the pattern to make the first one for myself because after you make something that is hard and give it to someone else it is so hard to ever make one for yourself. I have made 4 different Amy Butler bags and I know what you mean about figuring out what you are doing. Her instructions can be confusing but the end products are so beautiful. I just wanted to say that I love your comment about how a few stitches can make you so happy. After I had my baby I didn't sew for a good few months and I felt really empty inside. When I started sewing again I just felt so much happier and complete. It is hard to take the time to do something that I love for myself and not feel guilty but when it makes me feel so much better I know it is worth it. Your thoughts struck a cord with me. Just wanted to say a big "Amen" to your thoughts.

Mrs.DD said...

I love the bag! You did a wonderful job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons