Saturday, May 16, 2009

kids craft hand print tutorial


This is what we made in preschool this year for Mother's Day, (I got the idea here) but I think it would make a great birthday gift for grandma, grandpa, favorite cousin, dad, teacher appreciation day, church activity, or doll up your kids bedroom, etc. It's quick, easy, and most of all cheap.


I let my preschoolers go though my fabric stash & choose their favorite. Other then dissuading one boy away from Christmas fabric, they all chose pretty well. I traced their hand using a pen on the wrong side of the fabric & cut it out.


I printed their name & the year on a piece of card stock somewhere near the center and used the Plexiglas or glass (that came with the frame) and a pencil to create the template.


Next I used spray starch to make the hand lay nice and flat.


Then I used spray glue to mount it to my card stock. I sprayed the wrong side of the fabric on a separate piece of scrap paper, first. Then picked it up & centered it where I wanted it on the card stock just above the name & year.


This is how it looks mounted to the card stock. You can see my penciled lines where I will cut out.


I reassembled the frame and placed the hand inside. I got this particular frame at Ikea, they are sold in a set of 2 for $2.99. Then I torn strips of fabric and stapled them to the back of the frame to use as a hanger.


They turned out so cute. One of the moms called to find out how to make one for her other kids. You could also use cute scrapbook paper & ribbon.

6 comments:

TwoPrettyLittleSkirts said...

What a cute idea! I love your blog, hope you dont mind if I follow :)

Dawn

Courtney said...

I just found your blog and I am loving it. Your ideas are simple and so cute!I made an apron the other day and now I can't wait to do some handprints.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

I LOVE this idea! Perfect project for this summer.

Sun-Kissed Savages said...

I love this, too!! Can't wait to try it!

afonseca said...

I did this for my husband for father's day with our 5 girls. I wish I could post them to show them to you.

Mitzi Saltsman said...

We did this today in our Jr. Church for Mother's Day. It was definitely a hit. We have some big families, so we put all the kids handprints in different colors on one board. Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons