Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sewers Block

Does this ever happen to you? It's not that I don't have anything I want to sew...it's that I can't sew it!! Last night I tried to sew up some baby booties and matching onesies for some family we are going to see this weekend. I started off on the baby booties. I've done several of them and thought they were pretty easy. Well, I couldn't do anything right with them last night. I kept picking and sewing. By the time I was done I had a bootie no baby could (or would) wear. And the onesie wasn't any better. Holes, uneven stitches, gaps, bunches...everything that I could do wrong I did. So I decided to ditch that set and start on the other. Bad idea. Even worse. I have decided that when I am having a bad sewing night that I should just put everything away, get some sleep, and try again later. As it is, I have two ruined pairs of baby booties and two horrible tie applique onesies that I'd be embarrassed to give. That was a waste of three hours and a lot of sanity (which is in short supply as it is!) and precious sleep.

So, what have I learned? If it's not working out, give it up and come back to it later. Don't continue to ruin project after project. AND, never put off projects until the very last minute. Target here I come.

4 comments:

Jill Manning said...

Oh my gosh, we are so on the same wavelength. I was up all night last night working on some happy stackers for my new nephew and they turned out horrible! I decided to put them all off to the side and work on a dress that I am making for Elsie. That didn't turn out any better. I just put that back in the zip lock baggie and will never return to it because it was just too aggravating. And yet, I was up til 2 am anyways. Why didn't we have the sense to call each other and get through the funk together?

Rebecca said...

I once had someone tell me - "Only bake when you are happy. Stress, frustration, any of that stuff, will show in your baking." - I would dare to bet it's the same way with any sort of craft you are doing!

Christie said...

That's great advice Rebecca. I think it's so true. We had a very stressful, busy day and then with the pressure of getting them done by today because we are leaving on vacation (another stressor), I'm pretty sure that's why. Isn't that crazy?! Something we've done so many times is still affected by our mood.

Sorry you hear about your mishaps too Jill! What is going on? I hope you don't totally give up on that dress...it's adorable. The brown and pink polka dot one, right?

Mommafo said...

Very true! I tried working on a quilt after receiving some bad news in the mail yesterday. Nothing went right! I did walk away & came back later, turned out great. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons