Sunday, July 5, 2009

Mom's Sweat Shop

My mom called me up a few days ago and asked me to come up with some baby shower presents for some showers that she has coming up. She said she would pay for them and the material if I would do the work, hence the title. I became my mom's own personal sweat shop. Which is only fitting since it is 100+ degrees outside and our A/C is stilling dying a slow and painful death (hopefully this will be fixed this week); I was literally sweating while working these. I have been dying to make these booties from On Pins and Needles. Christie made Elsie a set a months back and I looooved them!

Side note: Don't you love how Elsie looks like she is flying an airplane in the picture? This always makes me laugh. But back to the sweat shop...
So, I started looking through my fabric stash and looking for applique stencils and got to work. We were supposed to go to a family bar-b-que and swim party tonight to celebrate the 4th of July but Elsie has been sick for three days now with a nasty fever and was in no shape to be out in the heat and with other children, so I stayed home with her and Ty went and celebrated for all of us. So, I sewed and created and watched lots of movies (while Elsie slept the day and night away) and this is what I came up with:

How adorable is a plaid and polka dot elephant? I'm going to hand sew a little hair to his tail and give him an eye to complete the look. Can you believe I found this fabric at Michaels? Yeah, who knew Michael's had fabric? You learn something every day.

Have a mentioned that I LOVE argyle? I do, I can't get enough of it. I can't decide if I should leave the diamonds like this or add the diagonal lines to give them a true argyle look. What do you think? Oh, and bonus, there is a little argyle diamond on the bum. How cute is that?

And...

you can't do a baby onesie and not have one with a cupcake on it. That would just be crazy, right? I love the button for a cherry on top!!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Awesome! I LOVE the cupcake one!!! Great work!

Kelly said...

So sweet! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Christie said...

I really love the argyle one. Great job with that! I think you should stitch some lines on it. You could always use embroidery thread so it looks a little thicker and stands out more. Those little booties are so fun to make!

BookLady said...

So right about the cupcake! :) Can't wait to make these for the newest baby in our family, thanks!!!

Maren said...

I bet you hand sewed all the appliques didn't you... can we say "overachiever?"

Denise said...

Adorable!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons