Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sweet Sundress Stitchin'

I've been itching to sew Myla a sundress and took the plunge when I saw this tutorial from Lil Blue Boo. It was so easy...only took me about an hour to sew up, once I had the pieces cut and ironed. I thought it needed a little something extra so I made a flower pin to go with it, that way I can detach it when the dress needs washing (which it already does and Myla has only had it on 3 hours).

I love how the purple flower doesn't match with the lavender-y color of the coordinating fabric, but matches the accenting violet-red color in the main fabric.
Myla loves it when I make her things. I feel bad because Cade feels left out. I asked him what he would like me to make for him and he said something with Transformers on it. Then he said, "Transformers shorts!" So we went to Walmart this morning, actually found some Transformers fabric, and I will be attempting my first pair of boy shorts this evening. I've never been very fond of homemade shorts...so we'll see how this works out!

11 comments:

Denise said...

This dress is beautiful. I love the flower accent. Just started reading your blog a few days ago.
Really enjoy it!

the Picketts said...

i just LOVE that dress, Christie--its so adorable! i think that fabric was perfect for it, and the big flower to match is super cute too- Myla is so lucky:)

Denise said...

Oh I meant to ask who won your giveaway?

Christie said...

Welcome Denise! Thanks for the kind words. So glad you are dropping by.

Beka - You will be making your own little girl dresses here soon, I predict. :)

Jill Manning said...

Stop it, just stop it! That dress is adorable! I can't take it! I found that same tutorial last night and liked it but now I LOVE it after seeing Myla in it! You did a great job making it your own. Myla is one lucky girl and I can't wait to see those shorts for Cade. Oh my gosh, where are my Joanns coupons? I need to go get some fabric for Elsie.

Jessie Lewis said...

I'm gonna have to make one of those adorable dresses for Maddie. I LOVE the flower, so summery.

Ashley said...

I LOVE the fabric you used! Thanks so much for linking to my blog ;) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flower too. You daughter is adorable! I am on vacation in Tahoe right now and going through sewing withdrawal!!!!

Ashley said...

Just fyi....I started a Flickr Pool if you would like to upload this ADORABLE dress ;) Hope you are having a great weekend!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/lilblueboo/pool/

Jenahlee Chamberlain said...

For starters I recently found your blog so I apologize for being so behind the times! Second I think you added a band at the bottom of this dress to match the top band. How did figure out the amount of fabric you needed and how to cut it? I love this dress and I liked that little addition!

Thanks!

Christie said...

Hi Jenahlee! Thank you! So glad you stopped by.

For the dress, the bottom band is the same length of the dress, so whatever length you cut the dress, cut the band the same. The width, I believe, was about 4 inches and I folded it in half and encased the hem of the dress. Hope that helps!

Rachel Wible said...

Im guessing this dress is taken on and off over the head.....Is that right...my little one has chunky thighs

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons