Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I may just be crazy enough...

One of my favorite things about my new found love for sewing is when I look through catalogs and I see something super adorable and I am able to say to myself, "Self, you can make that." I love going through stores (especially the kids section) and seeing a really cute dress or top and thinking, "I wonder how they made that?" And than with closer inspection, I am able to figure it out and see that I could duplicate that same dress for a fraction of the price. There are a lot of times where I just buy the dress because let's be honest, I could never find or afford the same fabric they used which made it so cute to begin with. I feel like I am being let in on a very mysterious secret when I can duplicate name brand things. Does that make sense? Let me explain further. I got my Pottery Barn Kid catalog the other day and I was so excited when I saw Halloween costumes on the front. I love Halloween. It is my favorite holiday ever! I love dressing up and Halloween gives me the perfect excuse to do it and not be stared at oddly for doing it. Yes, I have been known to dress up even when it is not Halloween. It tends to happen when we are moving and I am going through old clothes that I don't want anymore, for some reason the clothes that are destined for Goodwill end up on me to make up some crazy ensemble. It's just fun. It makes packing fun that is for sure. Anyways, in the catalog they were selling this adorable costume...
...for $59!!!! That's Pottery Barn for ya. I was just tickled to death when I looked at the costume closer and realized, I could make that same costume and not spend $59 on it. I mean really, its just a bunch of felt. Felt is one of the cheapest fabrics at Joanns. So, the question is...am I crazy enough to do this? I think I am. I really want to make this for Elsie, wouldn't she just be adorable? I haven't been able to stop thinking about this costume and that is usually a good sign that I am going to attempt this. I'll let you know what the result is. I can't wait!
Also another thing that I saw in the catalog were these adorable owls.

I gained some sewing confidence after I made Mr. Humpty Dumpty and I think that is why I think I am crazy enough to try to make one of these little guys too. Poor Elsie, I hope she doesn't grow up resenting me for making everything she owns.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Oh Jill, if anyone can do it you can! In my blog surfing the other day I came across this tutorial and briefly thought about making it. But we are going with the family Star Wars theme this Halloween and cupcakes just don't fit into that scheme...unless you count Princess Leia's hair. :) Cinnamon buns vs. cupcakes. It's a toss up. There's an idea for Paige, Maren! Anyway, the Pottery Barn one is cuter, but it might give you some ideas:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/cupcake-costume/index.html

I really, really, really hope you do it Jill! Elsie would look so adorable! And maybe you can make Ty a class of milk and you an icecream cone to complete the look. :)

the Picketts said...

Go Jill! you can do it! You are amazing... One day i will feel more motivated again! Elsie will definitely be the cutest cupcake around, and those owls are so adorable!

Becky said...

I do the same thing! And reading blogs is dangerous to this particular Self! I hope you do make the cupcake - it is adorable!!!!

j&jwebbfamily said...

That's too funny. I felt that same way when I got my pottery barn catalog in the mail. : ) I fell in love with that cupcake costume. I'm trying to make it for our little Tatum.

Anonymous said...

I too said "if it's made from felt I can totally do it myself" Well, I have bought the material, but have yet to start! If anyone has good tips on how to do it please share! I am not a great seamstress so any help would be great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons