Sunday, September 20, 2009

My First Fondant Cake!

Okay, I know this is a sewing blog, but please allow me to share this with you...'cause I'm super excited. I decorated my first fondant cake this weekend, and I'm pleased by the results. There are so many flaws, and I have so many questions that will take lots more practice, but I'm glad I got the initial one over with so I can keep practicing! So here she is:

It was a three day process for me because we had such a busy weekend, so I had to break it up. Friday night I made the marshmallow fondant, which is so much easier than I thought it'd be. I was just planning on buying some Wilton fondant at Joann's, but read and heard how awful it tasted. Anne suggested that I make it, and I'm glad I did. I watched a couple of tutorials on youtube that really helped.
Saturday morning I made and assembled the cake. Saturday night I rolled out and put the white layer of fondant on the cake. Sunday I colored and cut out the flowers. It didn't seem so bad when I broke it up into little steps.
My cheesiness. I won't even show you the other "crazy" pictures. You know how crazy I can get. (Turn to the left! :))
But to me, the best part is the actual cake. I wanted to make the inside really cute just in case the outside didn't turn out. I made a rainbow layer cake. It's really easy. Just mix up two boxes of white cake mix. Split it up into six bowls (a little over a cup each), color each a different color, then bake in six separate cake pans. I don't have six (um, who does..and if you do I want to come bake in your kitchen!), so I did three at a time. When they have all cooled, cut the cakes to make them level and assemble, adding frosting between each layer. Whalah! A pretty rainbow cake!

10 comments:

Mandy said...

So cute! Very clever.

Jill Manning said...

Holy crap, where do I begin? You did a fantastic job! The colors are so fun and the fondant looks superb (I can say this since I am a fondant extradinaire). And I love the colored cake on the inside. Dividing the cake into 6 bowls would have been enough to make me say, "No thanks. I'll have Christie make it." With that said, Elsie's birthday in 7/11, leave that date open to do her birthday cake, k?

niKKi said...

You amaze me!!

Rachel said...

Amazing! I bet your kids loved eating it too!

Maren said...

I'm with Jill... that's a helluva lot of steps - but really pretty and making miss my Rainbow Brite jammies. Where is Miss Brite by the way? Everything 80's has made a come back but her. Thank Kevin for the cd's its 24/7 Star Fest over here. We watch little else. The mania has begun and he can pat himself on the back for that. I made a 4 layer ice cream cake for Abbey's 1st bday today, but it's looking a little homely next to your mesmerizing masterpiece.

j&jwebbfamily said...

Loved the cake!! It was yummy too. So impressed!!

GroverFamily said...

you did a great job! i love the colors:)

Corinne said...

WOW!!! That is one awesome cake! You should be so proud!

The Miller 6 said...

That is SUPER CUTE!!! but SIX cakes!? LOL I can hardly make it through one round of baking without forgetting something is in the oven! LOL KUDOS to you that's amazing!

Maren said...

p.s. since when have we ever strictly been into sewing on this bog. We are almost as obsessed with food as we are with fabric... just look at our lovely curvacious figures for proof. The proof as they say is in the pudding, oh. That sounds good right now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons