Saturday, October 17, 2009

Twirly skirt fun times


This last week I finally finished skirts I had promised to my nieces back in August. When I saw the Edith Twirl Skirt (thanks Fabritopia)- I knew that was the skirt I want to make for my 3 year old and 2 year old nieces. And these fabrics* are so fun! It's so girly, twirly, and fun. I'm sad I didn't get pictures of them in the skirts, but that's okay.

1. I did a couple things different then the pattern suggests. I chose to make actual bias tape and attach it following basic bias tape procedures (unfold, sew, refold, sew again - Angry Chicken tutorial is a classic!)... the pattern has you line up the raw edges and sew it differently. The finished product has the same basic look, but I feel more confident sewing it the traditional way.

2. I used a bed skirt bought from a thrift store to make the lining for the skirt instead of following the pattern directions for making a new one. I love to repurpose fabric and sew frugally! Also, the bottom of the bed skirt had these great folds that simplified and balanced the contrasting fabrics.

3. The last change I made was to use a contrasting fabric (same as the bias tape) for the waistband. These pictures were taken before I added the elastic to the waistband. So they would have been gathered an additional 6 inches or so.

WARNING: This skirt is exactly what it is advertised - TWIRLY!! You gather close to 88 inches of fabric... it way more then the pictures gives it credit for. It is the little girl dream skirt I never had as a child, but will definitely be making for both of my girls. It only goes to size 6, but I think the sizes run large and you only have to add a few inches to the length and enlarge the waistband to accommodate larger sizes.

* the pink & cream butterfly/flower prints are from Hobby Lobby (bother/sister label) and the brown diamond shape I think is a Moda print I bought at a local store 3 Dudes Quilting.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons