Monday, December 21, 2009

... the stockings were hung by the chimney with care

So, this looks like it might become a yearly tradition. Featuring some great stocking designer... last year it was my sister-in-law, this year it is my baby sister Megan. She's 24, so technically she's not a baby except she will always be "our baby" and she never ceases to amaze me with her talents. SO every year we draw names and she drew my brother & his 2 girls (ages 7 & 9) - this is what she came up with.


This is the front side, but wait I wanted a purple sock? ... No problem!


Just flip it over. This is the reverse. How cute is that?


I asked her where she got her template and she said she just free handed it, and used that pattern to make the other ones with. I love it. I will definitely be tracing this pattern.


Here's the reverse side with the second stocking. I love her colors and she said she just used scraps.


It's deceptively creative. I thought there is no way I would ever "quilt" tiny pieces together to make a stocking, but these are strips weaved over and under that she sewed on and left the edges raw.


And the reverse to the green stocking.


I love the detail.


And even the inside fabric is adorable. We have outgrown our stockings and need new ones for next year. Here I have a pretty cool project to follow, maybe if I start now I can finish all 6 by next Christmas... I love it. Thanks Megs for sharing your creative fun ideas.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

So sweet! Thank you for the inspiration. As I pulled the stockings from the storage box this year, I thought about how I need to take time to replace stockings purchased our first Christmas together. We are a combined family, and that first holiday, I found myself just days before Christmas realizing that my step children had never had stockings of their own. I grabbed what I could find. These stockings are generic and plain, but filled with love each year. It is time they had stockings that reflect themselves. Thank you for reminding me. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Phiphi said...

such a lovely stockings..:) I really love your blog, it's very insipiring, that I blog you in mine http://chez-vies.blogspot.com/2009/12/secret-stitch-club.html. Thanks alot for sharing lots of lovely crafts & ideas with us..Merry Christmas & happy holidays

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons