I wanted to display a few of my recent projects in hopes of inspiring my fellow sewing-sisters out there to dust off their sewing machines and make something with the fabric collecting dust off their shelves. The first color combination was inspired by Jesse, I don't think I would have gone there on my own, but as per her request I made her an Emmeline apron and an Edith twirl skirt for her darling Maddy matchy matchy in the teal and red.... Now onto the projects.
I made these portable travel chairs the other night. They are so quick and EASY! I printed up the tutorial by Carrie Lundell thismamamakesstuff.com her tutorial is fantastic and easy to follow. Just click here.
I made 2 travel chairs. I used cotton fabric and a thin batting. The dimensions I followed were from homemadebyjill - except I followed her advice and shortened the waist ties by 6 inches. But actually I think maybe 3 inches would have been better. My velcro was 1' wide (Carrie suggest 2' wide), I can see the benefits of using wider velcro for a more snug fit.
Abbey side view.
We are off to Disneyland next week and I'm sure these will come in handy. Sometimes Abbey likes sitting in a booster seat, but often they don't have a belt and she tries to stand up, this will help to keep her at least a little bit more secure.
Jill used 3 different fabrics. All of them on the band. I used 2 different fabrics on the band at 12' each. For the connector I chose a corresponding fabric. I LOVE the result. Polka-dots and toile are my favorites.
This is what the travel chair looks like when assembled and threaded through the chair back.
I made a second one in brown and green. I love this combination the most (okay and the model - who couldn't love the model?)
The only thing - I tucked the connector in a little too far on this one when I did my top stitching. Carrie and Jill both didn't give a recommendation for the length, I would say to give yourself 4 inches exposed.
You can see all the pretty fabrics put together here. You don't really get to see the fabulous combinations, but they add an element of visual interest and detail (plus you know you have cute fabric)
Okay... so Abbey was done now, but she can't wiggle her way out of this one (ha, ha, ha)
The next project was to remake this ugly beast. I'm obsessed with spray starch and you can tell. This cover was about as crispy as you could get. It probably would have caught fire the next time I used it.
I used a Home Decor weight fabric, unpicked the casing and elastic from the old cover. Traced the old cover, then reused the casing and elastic. It was pretty easy and the end result so worth it, but does this mean I must bid farewell to my obsession?
I made this over Christmas for James. He loves Star Wars and Wendy let me buy this fabric off her cheap. It's a simple tie quilt. Instead of buying batting I bought a cheap blanket from wal-mart ($5) and a flat sheet for a full bed. It fit like a glove.
I folded over the edges and sewed it right up. It couldn't have been easier. My sisters and mom helped. It was actually a lot of fun.
This was another project I made over Christmas with my preschoolers and my kids. I made one copy and color copied it for the grandparents. It was a lot of fun and a cool keepsake.
Lastly - I made my last bath apron (for awhile). These are so easy to make and a good gift for anyone expecting or with a newborn. I made this one for my sweet friend Nikki. I love the soft teal/green with the brown polka-dots. I will not miss making bias tape (for awhile) at least.