Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pattern Instructions Holder Tutorial

Please excuse the lame name for this little project. I couldn't come up with a better one, so if you have any ideas please save me!

Meet my little slice of heaven, my sewing nook. I know, it's not much to look at, but it's my tiny little space in my tiny little townhouse. I love it. But sometimes it can be hard to follow the instructions for a pattern. I've tried putting the instructions on the floor, on the serger, on the open drawers. It's pretty inconvenient no matter where it is and I always end up with a kink in my neck and a pain in my back. I came up with a solution that works for me! The Instruction Holder:

It was super easy to put together. We have a bunch of yard sticks hanging around the house. Really, how many yard sticks do you need? I dunno. I saw one sitting in the corner and thought it'd be perfect. I rummaged through my fabric and this great Amy Butler fabric that my sweet sis-in-law gave me screamed out at me. So, here you go:

1. Grab a yard stick or board of your choosing.
2. If you are worried about the yard stick measurements showing through your fabric, paint the yard stick white and let dry. I didn't paint it...I'm not patient enough, and I really didn't care. But you can't tell in the end.

3. Measure out your pieces by tracing the yard stick onto your fabric.
4. Cut out your pieces. (I used a fat quarter and had to cut two pieces to fit the yard stick.)


4. Mod Podge your fabric to the yard stick by brushing a thin coat of Mod Podge on the stick, small sections at a time. Smooth the fabric over the portion you coated and continue until the whole stick is covered. Let dry. Side note: Now, I'm no friend of Mod Podge. It never works for me! It always turns out bubbly and ugly in the end, but I thought I'd give it one more shot. It turns out that it works great on fabric!
5. Put a final coat over the fabric. Let dry.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 to cover clothespins. I chose to put 5 clothespins on my holder, that way I can clip instructions I print from the internet as well.
7. Further embellish your clothespins using flowers, buttons, ribbon, whatever your creative heart desires.
8. Measure how far apart you want each clothes pin. Glue the clothes pins the board using your trusty glue gun.
9. Attach it to the wall. I just nailed it up. I put it a little higher than I'd prefer, but I have to keep little hands from playing with it.
10. Get sewing!

13 comments:

j&jwebbfamily said...

Very creative!! I love your little sewing nook. Very organized.

the Picketts said...

such a cute little nook:)!! good idea for the pattern holder- very creative!

Jessie Lewis said...

It's functional AND cute! And I think you could use it for so many other things: recipe holder, artwork holder,scarf holder.

colourdujour said...

very clever! how did you attach the clothes pins to the yard stick? nails, staples, glue?

Stacy Ellison said...

hey just stumbled upon your blog. i LOVE all your cute ideas. hope you don't mind if I peek. :) thanks for the ideas!

Christie said...

I used a hot glue gun to attach the clothes pins to the board. Thanks for asking! I'll add that to the tutorial.

Welcome Stacy! Peek all you want. :)

Jill Manning said...

I can't wait to have my own little nook so that I can steal this idea. You are a genius! Reading patterns and instructions are such a pain when your space is so limited.

Rowanmayfairs said...

WOW.. I need a yardstick.. I use a piece of wire ribbon that is fasten to the wall with push pins at this moment.

I use this also to pin up blankets and such to photos..

I love your idea and its much pretty than my silver wire ribbon ;)

AZ Barbara said...

Darling! (If you live near the advertising on the yard stick, we live in the same area =)

alayna said...

Awesome! What a great idea!

Kristy said...

You totally read my mind on needing a spot to put my patterns! What a simple and creative idea. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

How fantastic! its a THIRD ARM!!! exactly what I need. thanks for the tut!!

Hearts at Home Club said...

I love this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons