Thursday, May 6, 2010

Walmart Sheets and Shirring


Someday my daughter will be a cooperative model. The first pic is her flinging herself against the fridge in protest. I bought a flat twin sheet at Walmart for 4 bucks. From it I've made a purse for a friend and this dress and I still have plenty left for another project. I love cheap fabric! This pattern was from portabellapixie, and it was super easy and fast. BUT I will admit, it was my first time shirring, and I simply read the pattern and thought I knew what I was doing. After cursing over threading the elastic thread in the needle, unpicking and re-sewing and unpicking and re-sewing, my dear husband kindly pulled up an online tutorial on how shirring SHOULD be done. Ohhhhhhh, you use regular thread in your top thread....I'm a total doof. After that it was cake. One summer outfit down, much more to go. Happy sewing!

2 comments:

Casey said...

It's such a cute dress Jessie. You are turning into quite the seamstress.

Christie said...

Jessie, you are amazing! I love that dress. I love the color combo. And I love that you bought that sheet for $4 and are still using it! I've been wanting to try shirring. You say it isn't that bad? You've inspired me to give it a try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons