Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Why I keep sewing...

This was me 11 years ago. 23 years old and getting hitched to the greatest (and hottest) guy I knew (know). This was my wedding dress... well, technically I was wearing my mom's dress during the actual ceremony, keep in mind my mom made her dress when she was 19 year old. This dress was bought for my reception. It was my wedding dress. I loved it.

I loved that the top had beautiful detailed beading. I loved the short sleeves despite it being January and snow on the ground. I loved that the train bustled up in back and the empire waist was flattering. I loved that it showed off my best asset without being too scandalous. I love that Jason's parents wanted me to have the dress I loved and bought it for me.

But here you are 11 years later. What are you still doing here dress? You served your purpose, but now you are collecting dust in an ugly torn bag, taking up valuable closet space. You've not only served me well, but also a few others. The dry cleaners did a number on your bead work and frankly, I will never wear you again. Your life with me is over. But I don't want to just send you to Goodwill or give you away... I'm kind of attached to you. What if you get reinvented and live a new life? 

How about as a dress for my gorgeous daughter?

After I took the seam ripper and a pair of scissors to a worn out but beautiful dress I would never wear again. I sent all the pieces to my mom and asked her to create something for Paige's baptism.

She created something really special. Simple and elegant. It has an empire waist, some nice bead work on the top and somewhat echoes it's previous life. We love it. It's perfect and someday I hope to be the kind of grandma that can return the favor to my own granddaughter - because I kept on sewing.

7 comments:

Christie said...

Man, that girl is gorgeous. I love how young and fresh and...formal you guys look in your wedding pics. I'd expect to see some fingers up noses or something. :) No really, I love those wedding pics and I love what you did with your wedding dress. What a special thing for both of you! Paige looks amazing!

Jessie Lewis said...

What an adorable post!

PDCScarbroughpage said...

I LOVE this idea. Maybe when its been 11 years I can part with mine! lol not now though!

Cadiedid said...

I love this! What a fantastic heirloom. It's so pretty on your daughter, too!

(un)Deniably Domestic said...

A wonderful grandma, and gift from your heart. She will never, ever forget. ~Kelly

0430246

Casey said...

That's great Maren. What a genius idea. Both Paige and the dress look beautiful.

Grandma said...

Beautiful dress!! My great grandmother made a special blessing dress for her children out of her wedding dress. Some of her grand children used it. I got to have my daughter blessed in it. The fragile dress hung almost to the floor. Perhaps if you have any fabric left you could make a blessing dress for your granddaughters to wear. TRADITION!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons