Thursday, August 12, 2010

most delicious skirt of the summer

Before

After
Nancy (clever girl) at My Blonde Ambitions - took a (fat man's shirt) size 4X shirt from Wal-mart and made it into this delicious skirt. She has a fantastic picture intense tutorial (you won't get lost - Thanks Nance!)...

I had to try it. This is a deep purple.

I did a few things differently. Instead of hemming the bottom ruffle of the skirt I used the finished edge of the t-shirt (I don't always sew straight and it was easier to add a piece for length then try to sew a straight line). Instead of using my serger I zigzagged the edges and made an "exposed" french seam. Also after I attached my ruffle I topstitched. People have asked where I bought them - HA! The ultimate compliment.

I also made it in black.

Here is a close up of my "exposed french seam. I sewed - right sides together and instead of making sure the seam is fully enclosed when you sew the wrong sides together, I sewed a shallower stitch so some raw material is exposed along the seam. It gives it a more casual look (I'm a t-shirt girl - so it matches my wardrobe better). In keeping with the casual look, I also attached the ruffle on the outside of the skirt so the rough edge along the top is exposed.

And I helped my little sister make one in gray. I think I bought these t-shirts at Wally for $4 each, and they are pretty long. If your a wee bit on the smaller side - Target has better colors (pink, etc.) just not the biggie big sizes. It's fabulous if you are prego, because you can make a larger waistband then add elastic or a drawstring post baby belly and still wear your "maternity" clothes without the fat frompy feeling. Hoorah for Nancy!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

wow, so fun to see someone make something I did, great job, I'm impressed! You even seem to know a lot of fancy sewing lingo, I'm in the dark on that stuff. And very smart to use the seam that was already there, like I said I'm not that smart. Bravo friend!

Jessie Lewis said...

Love this skirt. Jersey is the way to go for comy skirts. I need to make a few to wear for the rest of our AZ summer, which we have far too long to go.

Jessie Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christie said...

I'm totally trying this. They are delicious! And they look so comfy. And so cute!

Jill Manning said...

How can you resist a comfy skirt made out of a $4 shirt? Its like a dream come true. I wonder if I could rock this skirt as well as you do though?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons