Monday, October 18, 2010

Make your own oil cloth? Is that possible?


Beka recently asked me about the table cloth I have in my kitchen. It's a 54X54 square shaped table which is always hard to find any kind of table cloth for. So I decided to make my own. I found a black toile from the Home Decor section at Joann's, with black & creme check around the outside. It was exactly what I wanted and I love it... BUT it was a huge pain to make into a simple table cloth, because I wanted it water proof and easy to clean after messy children or craft projects.


I spent hours ironing on the vinyl (which is NOT cheap, even with a coupon - only 17 inches wide). After 5 years it has taking a beating. There are spots where the vinyl has come off (or my kids pealed it off), a few spots with magic marker, creases, bubbles, wrinkles, etc. You get the picture. It does it's job, but I think I would have gone for an oil cloth is there was more variety or it was cheaper (oil cloth seems kitschy or a little too vintage for my decor).

Well, I found my solution. You can make your own! Your grandma did it - why not? I definitely think I will next time I have enough energy to think about changing up my kitchen decor (ie tablecloth). I found a great website from modhomeecteacher with fantastic step-by-step instructions. Just go HERE. Let me know if you do it, I'd love to hear how your project turned out. Best part is your not limited to what fabric they have on stock - you can use ANY fabric your heart desires.

You can make so many things from oilcloth. Check this out.
(image from QuiltersBuzz.com)

or Martha has ideas on her website. We can count on Martha to not let us down...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons