Monday, December 13, 2010

Hot Chocolate Cupcake with Peppermint Marshmallow Filling

Now that the stress of the Ward Christmas party is over I feel like I can finally get into my holiday baking. I'll save the bulk of it for next week when the kids are out of school, but I wanted to do a little bit for a family dinner we had last night. I thought about it (probably way too much) and decided I wanted to create my own little hot chocolate cupcake. Mmmmm, hot chocolate. I could drink hot chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used a Devil's Food cake mix to keep it simple, but you can use your favorite chocolate cake recipe. The peppermint marshmallow cream is my favorite part. It gives the cupcake that perfect little peppermint zing that you get from real hot chocolate when you melt a small candy cane in it.

Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Peppermint Marshmallow Cream Filling
Yields 24 cupcakes

Cupcakes
1 box Devil's Food cake mix

Bake according to the instructions on the box. Allow cupcakes to cool.

Peppermint Marshmallow Cream
1 small (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 package (4 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 candy canes, crushed to powder
2 TBS cream or milk

Cream the marshmallow cream and cream cheese together until smooth. Put the candy canes in a heavy ziplock back and crush it to powder (or you can grind them in a food processor or blender - I'm just lazy and don't want to wash another bowl). Be sure to make it into powder, you don't want any chunks because it makes it hard to pipe into the cupcake. Add the candy cane powder and cream. Mix until nice and smooth.

Using a long piping tip and a pastry bag, pipe the filling into the cooled cupcakes. I show how to do this here.

Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
* adapted from allrecipes
1 1/2 packages of cream cheese (12 oz total)
1 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups of heavy whipping cream (minus the 2TBS used for the filling)

In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fold in whipped cream with cream cheese mixture.

Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, making them look like the whipped cream on hot chocolate. Sprinkle some cocoa powder or hot chocolate mix on the top of the cupcakes and add a small candy cane. And enjoy!

** You can also fill the cupcakes with caramel instead of the peppermint marshmallow cream to make Caramel Hot Chocolate cupcakes. I had a few cupcakes left over and I think that is what I'm going to do!

(PS - You'll probably have left over frosting. It goes great on graham crackers or any other cake recipe. It's also yummy as a little topping on Maren's recipe for Pumpkin Pancakes with Apple Cider syrup. It's my most favorite frosting recipe ever!)

Linked to:



Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

YUMMY! So glad I found your blog. Happy to follow :) Would love for you to visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday! The party will be open until Friday if you want to link up multiple projects. Hope you have a great day! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons