Sunday, January 9, 2011

obsessed with kids cookbooks

This is my latest fav cookbook. I get so bored with bologna sandwiches, mac n' cheese, chicken nuggets... I decided in the new year not just for me to eat better, but to feed my entire family better. These are fun, easy, recipes that you can make with your kids.

ADVICE:
The Author Annabel Karmel also gives great advice in her book, like "eating out: watch out for kids' menus in restaurants - they often read like a fast-food menu. Ask for a half-portion from the adult menu instead. Compliment your child on behaving like a grown up - children's tastes in food is more sophisticated then what you might think." 

My Response:
I had never thought about doing that. I hate kids restaurant menus. Not just for the sucky nutritional quality but because they charge $5 for a 1/4 of a box of mac n' cheese that cost less then a dollar. It's a rip off and adult portions usually cost a few dollars more and are usually better for you.


A Family Rule:
One rule we have in my house is called "Green Eggs & Ham" - they HAVE to try everything once. If they hate it then they don't have to eat it, but they have to at least give it a try. Just last week I made Gumbo that had hotdogs, sausage, chicken, and shrimp in it. Paige and James were both like, 'we hate shrimp' I was like... do you even know what shrimp is? I pointed out the shrimp character on Finding Nemo and that made them laugh. 

Then after they tried it they were like... um, that's kind of good. Yeah. That's what I thought, or sometimes they will say - 'we hate that' and I will say - 'no you don't. I made this before and you loved it... etc.' That sometimes works as well.

ADVICE:
"Eat together: Eating with the whole family whenever possible can really make a difference. Personally, I think that taking the focus off your child's eating and having lots of social chat at the table is helpful... we try to have dinner together and take turns telling one another some of the good and bad things that happened during the week. Sometimes kids don't realize that bad things happen to adults too so it doesn't matter whether it's trivial or important... Children are more likely to open up to you if you are open with them, and it's good bonding time."


My Response:
We all know this is common sense, but I never considered sharing with them bad experiences as well. Not all my woes, but getting a flat tire or small disappointments might be interesting for them to hear, as well as the good. One thing I like to do is ask them what their favorite part of the day was and hearing what they come up with. I hadn't considered telling them my favorite part. - Anyway, I like the recipes in the book, the pictures are great, and recipes look easy enough as well as the ingredients... So far we've made the omelets, and two types of smoothies (Paige & James made these all by themselves), and tomorrow I'm making the Butternut Squash Risotto. Let's hope this year makes for better eating, for me and them.


1 comment:

Sharon said...

I like this! We struggle to get our kids to eat the dinner I make even if they've had it before. We established a "Three bite, no thank you". They must have 3 bites and then they may say, "No thank you" to the rest. (I did not create this but can't remember who I stole it from.) I also try to only put 1 new thing on their plate per meal.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons