Friday, May 13, 2011

Still Sewing

I have been in a sewing frenzy and a blogging funk. You should see my family blog. The poor thing is really neglected. So I finally sat down, uploaded a kajillion pics from my camera and started uploading pics. I wanted to show you guys what I've been up to because I'm so excited!

Remember this post about this apron from Anthropologie? Well, at 1:30am last night/early morning I finished it! And I couldn't be happier with it. Isn't that fabric fantastic!? It's Joel Dewberry's new line Aviary 2. Check out all the colorways here. Love it and can't wait to get my hands on more. I finally checked out Scrapbooks Etc. in Mesa and was thrilled at their fabric selection. I wasn't expecting that much fabric! I was in heaven. Good thing I gave myself a budget and only had that much money with me. I could've spent a fortune.

Anyway, the Anthro apron. I loved the ruffles and added a pocket with ruffles.
And a flower. And I'm in love. I just sat and stared at it last night when I was done. But I'm afraid to wear it. It's white. And I don't want to get sauce or juice or sticky chocolatey hands on my new favorite apron. Ah well, that's what aprons are for. I guess. :)
Myla is back in a girly stage (although you can't really tell with her scraggly hair and pirate tattoos - thanks Maren :). Anyway, she wants to wear dresses and skirts all the time now. So I'm taking it while I can. I whipped up these quick and easy dresses using long scraps of fabric that I didn't know what else to do with. Fun, huh. The pattern (Simplicity 2377) was great.
Same dress, different fabric. They are so comfy. I want to make an adult version.
This is an older project. For joy school we had a pajama party celebrating the letter P. I made each of the kids little pillows (P is for pillow too!) with their initials on it. I loved using up some left over flannel scraps.

Love the girl, love the fabric, hate the pattern. Ever have a pattern like that? This shirt was easy, but proportionally all wrong. Too wide and too short. I had to lengthen it. Myla hated wearing it. In fact, she took it off and told me to put it in her purse when we were out for dinner. Live and learn. Check out the shorts from this pattern: And this was after trying to fix it. Maybe it's me, maybe its the pattern. Either way, I probably won't be doing this one again. I've made lots of PJ bottoms and shorts and I've never had issues like this. Anyone ever tried this pattern? I'd be interested to know where I went wrong.
And one last one, Myla's Easter dress. I used the Party Dress tutorial by The Cottage Home on Ucreate. Super cute and super fun dress. Try it, you'll love it.

Okay, so I've seriously neglected my boys. I need to get to work on some things for them. :)

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

I just laughed hysterically after I enjoyed all of your sewing successes...I feel that everyone must have something turn out crazy!!!! So awesome! I will wear those pajama bottoms and take a picture just for sheer amusement.

Jill Manning said...

I remember seeing that Anthro apron tutorial and can't believe I haven't made it yet. You have inspired me because that turned out so cute!!! I'm loving those ruffles! But not as much I am loving those short for Myla...I don't think I have ever met a person with a body proportioned that way. Too funny! I have several kid patterns from Joanns that will never work for Elsie. I don't think it is you, it is the pattern. And I LOVE that last dress for Myla, so sweet. Just like her!

adrienne said...

I may very well be wrong, but it looks to me like the shorts have the crotch sewn together as leg openings and the leg opening sewn together as a crotch. Does that make sense? Was the pattern possibly labeled wrong as to which way it was supposed to go? I love that apron! Sooo cute!!

Sharon said...

I think Adrienne is right. I've done this before and it's really easy to fix. The proportions may be off even after you fix it but it might be worth trying to fix it just to see. Seriously I've done this and could not see it the right way. My mom had to rip it out and switch it around in front of my face before I saw it correctly.

Christie said...

Adrienne and Sharon, I'm pretty sure you're right! Silly me. That'd be my fault. :) Thanks for the help!

Carmen Sichewski said...

Hi there!
The picture of the shorts...
You have the waist and leg opening upside down for starters.
And the "leg' you created was with front left side seam
attached to a right front side seam. AND, the back left attached to the back right!

Easy Fix - take apart your 'side seams' and match a left FRONT with a LEFT back!
Good luck!

Maren said...

I was just thinking what a lucky girl Myla is - she is your little sewing Muse. What little doesn't want a closet full of custom beautiful dresses. Your a fabulous mom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons