Sunday, October 9, 2011

DIY Cake Plate tutorial (Halloweenish style) and chandelier

Cake plates are easy to make and quite trendy right now. The best thing about them is you can make them out of almost anything and for pretty cheap. This trio cost me $5 total. Here is a Halloween version we made to hold our glitter pumpkins and add terror and glamour to my kitchen table.

I glued these wood candlesticks to the bottom of these smallish 4-6 inch plates using gorilla glue. I'm sure you could use hot glue or any other fancy shmancy glue that I'm clueless about.

Next I hosed them down with glossy black paint. I like the glossy because it makes the wood look ceramic and the piece has a uniform look.

I painted the tops of the plate as well (I don't plan on using these for food).

And here is my finished project lighted by my gothic chandelier. 
Speaking of chandeliers...

I wanted to dress up my chandelier for the holiday. Make it more gothic and worthy of the Haunted Mansion.

I spray painted some cheap beads, draped black tule, and strips of fabric. Everything is held together at intervals with bows. As a last touch I added the boa around the center. I know this picture doesn't do it justice. But trust me it is awesome.

My kids made the ghosts from Kleenex and cotton balls. We strung them up with fishing string. I love the finished effect. So there you go - idiot proof crafts in less then an hour.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons