Sunday, February 26, 2012

Getting Organized

I'm not a very organized person. On a scale of 1-10, my level of organizational skill probably lies at around a 2. Does it drive my family crazy? Yes. Does is drive me crazy? YES! Why can't I learn? I spend more time looking for things than I would if I just took the few extra seconds to put it where it belongs. I know this. In a sudden burst of energy and motivation, I started myself down the path of Better Organizationhood. I created this weekly cleaning chart for me. Now each day I have a checklist of things I need to get done. Not only do I have concrete goals for each day, but it also makes the task of keeping a clean home seem less overwhelming. My kids basically have two daily chores during the school week--do homework and clean their room. On Saturdays we spend a good portion of the day doing the bigger chores. This is when they are learning how to mop, vacuum, sort laundry, etc. It's a great teaching opportunity and I enjoy working side-by-side with them - most of the time. Ok, maybe half of the time. :) You know what I mean. It's great to teach them how to do chores correctly and work with them, but the almost constant stream of whining is draining.

Another organizational thing I've done this past week is organize my workout schedule. Kevin and I are going to wake up 30 minutes early every day and do an interval workout together. I'm kind of excited. We don't get to spend a lot of time together, and since this is something we both want to do I think we'll be more successful and get more time together. Kevin has way more willpower than me. Thank goodness.

I know I have a long way to go, but it feels good to at least start somewhere. You can print off this weekly cleaning chart if you'd like it. I know it's filled in with my schedule, but you are welcome to it if you want! Just right click on the image to save to desk top and print there. I plan on framing mine so I can use a dry erase marker to cross off my chores daily.

Chart made with free digi kit called Feeling Groovy. I've looked and looked and can't find where I downloaded it from. I've had it for a few years.

5 comments:

Jessie Lewis said...

This is super cute and so smart! I'm impressed by two things: 1- you vacuum twice a week, and 2- you do mending once a week.

Christie said...

I don't do mending yet. But this pile of jeans with holes in the knees and pants that need to be hemmed is getting big, so I decided to add that to the chore list. :)

Lori said...

I love this and would like to have it. I am looking for a list that I can work from. We have a BIG house because we have a bunch of kids and my parents lived with us. Now every one is grown and parents are in the nursing home. So that means I have the whole house to clean myself. My husband helps some. There is so much and I never know where to start so most of the time I just don't. Blessings to you

Martha said...

Am I the only one that vacuums everyday? Lol!

April Forshee said...

Well, I am extremely organized, which drives my family crazy! So I guess no one is happy around here, huh?

I love checklists and I think that they are the most effective tool since they are a visual reminder that Hey! I Have Things To Do! Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wear Your Love for Aprons