flower pillow swap - Maren & Jill
For the pillow swap I was lucky enough to get Jill. I needed some inspiration for pillows. She told me the colors were navy blue, grey, green, hot pink, antique white (I was a little lost)... I needed some more guidance so this is the picture she sent me, taken from a square of the quilt she is making for her little girls room. perfect. I headed to Hobby Lobby and logged onto pinterest to get some inspiration.
|(pic from The House of Smiths)|
I found this really cute pillow, and this one.
Aren't those pillows fun and give endless ideas of colors, textures, and variations you can do to make them fit in your space/room/etc. I decided to take some pictures along the way and maybe inspire you to make your own.
1/2 yard print fabric
1/2 yard solid fabric
I bought a half yard of 2 of the fabrics from Jill's quilt square. This one I cut up in 6 inch strips, this gave me 3 strips of 6 x 45 - but I think it might have been better to have one more strip. I could have done with a bit more ruffle in the center.
Next I sewed all the strips together.
Then I folded them in half and ironed them. They are 3 inches wide by 135 inches long.
Then I serged the edges. I wanted the stitching to show since it reminded me of Jill's quilt. If you don't want the stitching to show, fold right sides together and leave an end open to turn it right side out.
Since I was using cotton for the flower and it can get a little heavy I didn't want the flower to sit weird on the pillow. I used 2 layers of fabric for the actual pillow part. The outside fabric is a cream muslin, the interior lining is a white cotton. My squares are 40.5 x 16.5, but really you could do any size. I chose a rectangle so I could have a seam going down the back of the pillow and a fold on the sides.
Here is my fabric & lining sewed together.
Next I used a long stitch to add a gather on the ruffle. As a time saver - just sew 2 lines here. One of your threads will break and you'll have to repeat this step (at least it ALWAYS happens to me)
I folded the pillow in 3rds, and ironed creases into the sides.
I placed the flower on the front of the pillow so I could figure out where I wanted it.
I adjusted the spiral until it looked right. You can pick it up and move it right or left until it gets centered.
I carefully lifted the pieces and traced the curve of the fabric with pencil on the fabric (might be easier to use fabric marker)
I pinned down just a couple inches at a time.
sew, sew, sew
finish up in the center.
I added a vintage button.
Next step sew up all the sides. I had serged all the edges so this part was easy - just line them up and go.
Don't forget to leave an opening so you can stuff the pillow.
I love the texture detail of having the flower stand up off the pillow.
For the "pleated" pillow - I sewed a double gathering stitch on both ends. The patterned fabric was double the length of the lining & pillow.
I sewed the lining and outer fabric together. Cream muslim for the outer fabric and a white cotton for the inner fabric. I don't think it needed the double layer, but I wanted the pillows to feel like a matching set and be uniform.
I put right sides together, pinned and sewed up the sides.
I turned it right side out and ironed down the fabric so it was easier to work with and so my seams would be straight & consistent.
I ironed down the pleats as well so they would lay a little flatter and make it easier to work with.
I put right sides together from the front and back and sewed up all the sides. I left a small hole so I Jill could stuff the pillows.
Viola! This is the finished pillow. Sew cute.
I love how they both turned out. Let's hope she does too.